Friday, March 26, 2010

Video Stores And Couch Convenience

My first job was at a video store. As far as first jobs go, I'd say it was pretty decent. My worst days on the job were the days that someone got pissed off because their account was frozen do to late fees. They'd scream at me. I'd apologize and say something about "policy", and they'd have to leave without a copy of Cruel Intentions. I think they charged like $3.00 for every additional day you kept the movie, which meant after 2 weeks you had rang up enough in late fees to feed a family of 8 or 2 teenage boys at McDonald's...at least circa 1997 McDonald's.

As I got to college I can remember friends who had accounts at every single video store in town, and they'd rack up the late fee charges at each one. Of course, spreading out the charges significantly lessens the hit when they'd actually have to bite the bullet and pay the fee. They could be sure they could afford the fees and rent that new rom-com therefore locking in that time to mack on their new lady.

I think I stopped renting from video stores about 4 years ago, ever since the Red Boxes offering $1.00 DVD rentals started popping up. Sure the DVD vending machines have a smaller selection, but it's not like I was ever interested in anything other than the new releases anyway. Lucky for us, there was a machine about 2 minutes away, so it was good when you were feeling extra lazy. We quickly found out that the "cheap" $1.00 rental can quickly become a $4.00-$5.00 rental when that same laziness kicks in the next day. That's when we got Netflix.

Netflix allows for the laziest of lazies to have their movie and watch it too...all from the comfort of your computer chair. Well, you do have to get up out of the chair and go to the mailbox to get the movie out, that is unless you've got it hooked up to your Xbox or Playstation. Then, you can sloth your way into eternity. Not that I approve of such behaviors. I'm just saying. It's safe to say that I love the convenience of Netflix, which has made me wonder what other things would be great in a Netflix-style format?

The Man and I have discussed how a "Netbooks" site would be great. Now, I know what you're going to say, "What about eBooks?", and to that I say, "What about them?" There are already numerous printed copies of books out there. Why couldn't there be a company to ship books back and forth in a similar fashion.? Flat rate postal boxes from the USPS with new labels inside for when you're ready to send it back. It's genius!

What about you? What would you like to see in a Netflix-style format?

No comments:

Post a Comment