Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Is Ignorance Really Bliss?

Another day of not working, so I was cruising through all my social networking sites to see what's going on in the world. I came across this article that talks about all the toxic chemicals that are in our health and beauty products. It was about two years ago when I really started looking into what the unpronounceable words on the back of my shampoo bottle were. A friend has suggested I check out, www.cosmeticsdatabase.com, the Environmental Working Group's, Skin Deep, a cosmetics safety database site, as they call it, "A shoppers guide to save cosmetics." You can search for the individual products that you use, or just search the brand itself. What you'll get is an overall "hazard score" for that brand and/or product and then a break down of what, if any, health issues each chemical is reported to be responsible for. It was a wake up call for me when I looked up products that I believed to be safe and come to find out that they were anything but. I don't want to pick on any brands in particular. The last thing that I need is any corporation coming after me for pointing out the flaws in their product, but you may be surprised to see that a lot of these companies claiming to use "natural" ingredients, may just be abusing the word.

Speaking of, a big FYI to all of you is that the FDA does not regulate the use of the word "natural". You can read a Huffington Post article about this publish last year here. Case and point the soda brand 7-Up, for awhile, was calling itself natural, and they went as far as to show their soda cans being plucked from trees. Does this not make any sense to anyone else? Since when was high fructose corn syrup considered natural? I won't get into food ingredients now, though, that's a completely separate and maddening issue.

In the meantime, do check out the Cosmetics Database site and see just what your putting on and in your body. Ignorance is only bliss if it doesn't end up giving you cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment